Yogurt is a great addition to many foods. Use it with your cereal, granola, fruit, or just eat it by itself. Plus, the wide variety of flavors will keep you from getting bored.
While you may have enjoyed a yogurt parfait or two in your time, you might not have used it for marinating your meat. And you really should.
Yogurt is full of microbes and lactic acid, both of which help moisturize and tenderize the meat without making it mushy. As Dr. Joseph Frank, a professor of food science at the University of Georgia said, “Lactic acid is a kind of mild acid, it’s not as strong of a sour flavor. It’s reacting with the food in a more gentle way.”
If you want to experiment with yogurt as a marinade or you just want a tasty dish for your dinner, use our Glorious Garlic Chicken recipe below.
Glorious Garlic Chicken
4 Chicken Breast halves
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
2 cups Plain Yogurt
1 package Simply Savory Glorious Garlic Dip Mix
½ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Place chicken in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt and Glorious Garlic.
- Pour yogurt mixture over chicken; mix until chicken is thoroughly coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Grease a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from bowl and shake off any excess; discard yogurt mixture.
- Transfer chicken to prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle panko bread crumbs over chicken breasts.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is done.